Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My Collections - Part 5 - Jamiroquai

Jamiroquai is a band from the UK that have been around since 1992.

I became a fan of them in 2001 when I first heard the song "Little L" on a dance music show one day... I was instantly hooked on the song and I played it on repeat for days. I had never felt that way about a song before. The next month on the dance music show they played Jamiroquai's next single "You Give Me Something" and I immediately loved that one as well. I then know that I needed more. I was only 13 years old at that time and didn't really know too much about music. I never bought CDs or anything but I wanted to try to buy Jamiroquai's cd. I went to the mall with my mom and we looked for it at the CD store and then asked the guy who works there if he knew where it was. He found it for me and I bought it and I was so happy. I played and played the CD over and over again and I loved it so much. The guy who had helped me at the store had shown me another Cd of Jamiroquai when I was there and I didn't don't Jamiroquai had more than one CD but I knew that I wanted all of their CDs. I went back the the store eventually and bought the other CD that they had. I figured out that they had 5 cds so I was determined to track down the other 3.

I eventually got them all and some singles too but since they were a UK based band they were not very popular in Canada or the US so much and finding their things was hard and I was always frustrated because no one knew who they were and it was annoying to love something so much and not really be able to share it with anyone.

After their album release in 2001 I was so pumped to hear their next album and waited patiently to see what would be next. I would chat on forums with other fans and everything but after a couple of years with no mention of a new album any time soon I unfortunately had to lose a lot of my interest in them. As well as that, other things were going on in my life then and I was discovering other artists as well (Like Prince, ha ha)

I just could not understand how artists like Britney Spears and so on could release albums every year or 2 and here Jamiroquai could go over 3 years with nothing. So my hope was kind of lost and I moved on. Jamiroquai eventually ended up releasing their next album in 2005 and of course since I will forever be a fan even if I am not head over heels for them, I went out to the store and bought it right away and loved it. After that release though, I was not the hardcore fan I used to be so I wasn't biting my fingernails waiting for their next release. The release after that came in 2010 and I bought it at well and love it. Who knows what's in store for those guys now. I will always support what they do and have a place for them in my heart no matter what.

Now there's a funny story about how I got most of my Jamiroquai collection... I originally only had their 5 (at the time) studio albums and 3 singles that I was lucky enough to find in some stores... pretty small collection. I mean, I would trade mp3 cds through the mail with people a lot all the time but these were not official cds or anything really. So I always had cd packages coming through the mail here and there. Then one day a little after Christmas time, I get a huge package in the mail and I am so confused because I wasn't expecting anything to come. I open the package and it is a shoe box full of CDs. I am shocked! I couldn't beleive my eyes. It was a whole collection of Jamiroquai CDs and I didn't know why someone had sent them to me or even WHO had sent them to me because there was no note or anything written anywhere. All I know is that I was very happy and thankful.

I had a Jamiroquai fan website up and running that I managed at that time. I wrote on the site about what had happened and thanked whoever it had been out there. A while later I ended up getting an e-mail from a guy in Australia saying it was him who had sent it to me. He had said that he wasn't so much of a fan any more and had all of the songs in mp3 so he didn't want the CDs anymore and thought I would like them. Even till this day it still seems so surreal to just have a package like that come to my door.

These are the albums.

These are the singles.

Sealed Limited Edition Cassette tape of the album.

My VHS & DVD

So there it is, I finally get to share my Jamiroquai story. It feels good to just get this out there. If someone out there knows of Jamiroquai and is reading this then you have made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment